Monday, May 09, 2005

Mother's Day...

It was such a nice relaxing day.

Brady Smith was visiting us from his mission work in Switzerland and spoke. It seems wrong to call him a visitor because he grew up here and some of his family still serve at College. However, visitor or not, he did a wonderful job. It seems funny to hear him talk like a French man when I know he has Arkansas roots deep down.

Lex had to work right after church, so the kids and I took our usual path to Carl's Jr.

Now, you might be feeling sorry for me right about now...after all, it was Mother's Day...you may think I would want something other than, more special than, better than, Carl's Jr.

But, you would be wrong.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret of mine. I am usually exhausted after church...as I'm sure many of you who serve to bring the worship time together would understand. So, I listen very carefully to where everybody is going to eat after church, and then I go the opposite direction. My family knows this about me, so they help me out. (Unless they are feeling particularly social and then they beg me to go where everybody else is.)

Carl's Jr., Chili Cheese Fries, (light on the chili and extra cheese), and a real soda. (No diet drinks on Sunday) This is not the only time I allow myself to eat this junk, I'm sorry to say, however, it is the only time I do it without feeling guilty or irresponsible. (Sunday is, however, the only day I don't drink diet.)

So, there I sit. Me, my chili cheese fries, a full strength soda...and my two sweet children. We talked, laughed, sat quietly, teased. We did everything a normal family would do. It was wonderful.

It didn't last very long. They both had homework and I had laundry to do. So, after a precious 30 minutes or so, we headed home.

Passing by an elderly couple as we were leaving Carl's Jr., the woman smiled at me and said, "beautiful children."

"Yes", I replied, "they are. Thank you."

Of all the blessings in my life, being a mother is at the very top.

4 comments:

Thurman8er said...

I was having a discussion on Sunday with somebody about raising kids. Your children were brought up as examples of how RIGHT in can turn out when God and love are so present in the home.

They are such examples without even knowing it most of the time. I love them to death.

Thurman8er said...

I just re-read that and I object to my use of the phrase "I love them to death." That doesn't sound right at all.

I just love 'em, okay? That's all. Not to death or anything.

Generous Kitchen said...

Thanks Steven. I truly believe they are just extraordinary people and we were blessed enough to be allowed to be their parents.

God is the one who has made those kids who they are. And...the amazing network of people God has placed in their path.

I love you to death, too...I mean, er, I just love you. That's all...not to death.

Amy Anderson Westerman said...

Sandra! I agree that your children are WONDERFUL! You and Lex-- with God's guidance-- have done and amazing job!

Congratulations to you on your recognition at the ZOE/Wineskins breakfast at Pepperdine! It is well deserved!

Keep up the Kingdom work, Sister!

LOVE! AW

Blog Archive