Sunday, March 02, 2008

Good Friends

I can't believe it's been a whole week since I last blogged! Time is swooshing by at high speed.

One of the sweetest experiences I had this week was a short drive to Modesto (about 1 1/2 hours from Fresno) to have lunch with a dear friend from my past life. We all have those people who are so special to us but no longer intersect with us on a daily or even yearly basis. I get a Christmas letter from her each year, so I feel I have "kept up", but to actually sit and have a long leisurely lunch with conversation was absolutely priceless!

As we sat and talked, we literally couldn't get it all in. There is so much I still want to say, or ask, or remind and laugh about, but it was a start. I remembered how precious she was to me during that time. What a good friend she was for me. How very blessed I am to have a friend like her. Because, the truth is, I have always known that although we didn't keep in close contact, I could have called if I had needed her.

She was the friend who came to be with me and help take care of my little Ashley, (7 months old at the time), while I endured my Dad's death and funeral and the days that followed. She was the friend who stood up as my very best matron of honor. We were college roommates and I don't remember much that we learned in class, but I do remember some life lessons we experienced together.

She has always been that gentle, kind, hilarious friend. I don't know if everybody is blessed with one like her, but I am so grateful that I am.

So, my advice is that if you have a great friend from the past, give him/her a call this week...

Blessings!

2 comments:

Brady said...

It makes it worth it, to keep in touch. Glad you were able to experience that.

Keep on writing.

Thurman8er said...

I'm so glad you were able to get in touch with her. If I'd known, I'd have made sure you gave her a big hug from me!