Wednesday, January 13, 2010

What? Huh! What?

Let me see if I can tell this story in a clear and concise way...

(first, let me say, dear co-workers, feel free to exit my blog...you've already heard this story and even gave me the impression you were bored with it the first time through...so, please, feel free to exit NOW.)

I have a favorite drive through coffee spot. I love how friendly, helpful, generally chipper the workers are...in fact, I've actually e-mailed the manager just to tell them "good job".

Yesterday morning, I was driving through and placed my order as usual at the "speaker". Then pulled up to the window and this is the conversation that took place...

(Coffee Window Girl holding up a sample of their new Instant coffee): "Good Morning! It's like pushing drugs to school children."

(me) "Good morning...WHAT? HUH! WHAT?"

(Coffee Window Girl throwing herself down on counter and expressing in a sad tone): "I told them I wouldn't be good at this!"

(me, unclear of what she was saying): "No...it's not you...it's me, try again, I just didn't understand you...really, say your pitch again..."

(Coffee Window Girl straightening up to give it another try): "Like pushing drugs to school children."

(me, mouth open, squinting, shaking my head slowly...looking over at my husband in passenger seat feeling the car shake with his laughter as he says "DRIVE AWAY!" I look back to the girl and say): "I'm just not getting what you're trying to say. I'm sure it's me, not you. You're doing a good job, I'm just not understanding you."

(Coffee Window Girl): "I know. They told me that selling this new de-caf instant coffee would be as easy as pushing drugs to school children, but it's not. I'm just not good at this."

My head snaps to my husband who now has himself pressed so hard against the passenger seat back as to not let the little girl see the tears streaming down his face as he laughs uncontrollably...

So, some dummy of a manager or trainer or something of the sort told this sweet, fairly naive, maybe a little ditsy new coffee girl that selling this product to the public would be like "pushing drugs to school children". And she, in one of her less than intelligent moments, thought this was the "hook line" she needed to use to get us to purchase it?!

Really!?

(me): "uhhhmmmm...no. I don't want any. But thanks."

(Coffee Window Girl): O.K. Here's your coffee. You two have a beautiful Tuesday! It is Tuesday, isn't it?"

(me, driving away, still in shock over the whole exchange): "yes, it's Tuesday...all day."

2 comments:

Julie said...

Desite what your co-workers think, I think this story is hilarious, and am laughing aloud now just hearing you tell it. Besides, it gives us a new adjective phrase to use when we really want to promote something at church...

Julie said...

Okay, just kidding about the church part, because of course we would never promote the idea of any benefits of being able to push something like drugs to children...