Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Always Be Sweet

O.K. You're going to think I drive through my favorite coffee house every day, but that's not the case. It just seems to be a story worth telling every time I do go through...

Drive up, give my order to the speaker, pull to the window and the sweet girl takes my $ and proceeds to say...

"How's Avery?"

Not, "aren't you Avery's Mom?, or "I think I know your son", or any such introductory phrase...simply and confidently, "How's Avery?"

I was a little startled because my son, like my husband, is not a frequent visitor of the drive through coffee experience. And, if either son or husband are driving through, it's probably for me. So, the fact this girl, first, knows Avery, second, knows Avery belongs to me is just weird.

"He's good" I answer in a very non-committal way.

"Yeah..." she continues, "I remember his Dad used to come in our class and help with 'computer time'. Everybody wanted to have computer time with him because he was fun and nice."

"???"

"That was...ummmm...THIRD GRADE?!, right?" I asked thinking surely there was another time she was talking about...

"Yeah, it was fun. He was funny. And nice."

"He's still funny and nice." I answered, not really knowing how in the world this sweet little girl, now 20-21, remembers me, connected to Avery, through his Dad working in their classroom once a week in the third grade!

But, as I was driving away, it occurred to me that my advice to my family over and over, is very good advice. I constantly told my children to "make good choices and be sweet". In fact, they say it back to me now in a loving/mocking sort of way. But, really, you never know what an impact you might have. You never know who's watching you. Who needs you and the kindness you bring to the moment.

So, my blog friends...

Have a great day! Make good choices and be sweet!
Blessings

No comments: