Monday, June 15, 2009

Ministry & Marriage


On Saturday, husband and I celebrated 22 years of marriage.

Some people go out to a nice cozy dinner. Some actually go out of town for a romantic get-away. I'm just sure that some even spend the day gazing in the eyes of their beloved whispering sweet nothings all day long...

We threw a party for the High School graduating seniors.

It's very hard to find a date that all, or most of the folks involved can agree on. There are the folks you want there to honor, there are the folks you want there to support the folks you're honoring, and then the folks whose house you're using, and, of course, you and your family need to have a free moment to help throw this little gathering. So, the date that popped up was Saturday, June 13. Our anniversary.

I whined and griped for a quick minute, then got over it and moved on.

Here's the interesting thing. As we enjoyed our church family, loved on these beautiful seniors who have graduated, listened to the sounds of happy families and children, and laughed with friends at a delicious BBQ with gorgeous 80-ish degree weather...I realized that if I were honest, there's really no place better to spend your anniversary.

For 22 years Lex and I have grown in love for each other and the Lord. Our service to each other is also our service to God. I could look around Saturday and see the fruits of a marriage rooted in service...bound by love for each other and Jesus Christ. I could sit confidently watching my precious husband lead and love those young people and know, without question, we will be celebrating many, many more anniversaries...(as long as we both shall live!)

I guess the best part of growing old together is just that...growing old together.

There are sad days. There are rough roads to travel. There is a darkness that would love nothing better than to obliterate our marriage...but, our love will continue to withstand anything as long as we continue to put God, and service to Him first.

I'm proud of you, Lex. I'm a blessed woman!

1 comment:

stephruns said...

congratulations!