Monday, June 16, 2008

Nineteen Times

There are things we do as parents that we know our kids appreciate, even if they roll their eyes and say "Mom, please" under their breath.

They are the things that someday, many years from now, they will say to each other with fondness..."Remember when Mom used to ______________?" Fill in the blank with any number of things.

I have a personal tradition that was started many years ago. I sing "Happy Birthday" to the "birthday girl or boy" as many times as they are old.

So, today, I am singing "Happy Birthday" 19 times. I know what you all are thinking...

"She doesn't look old enough to have a 19 year old!" ;)

19 years ago today God gave me a beautiful, quiet, strong baby boy who has grown into one of the most amazing young men I've ever met.


So, I'm currently on #12...7 more "Happy Birthday" songs to be sung to this sweet young man. I always save the last one for just before bed. It used to be before their bed time, but now, it's before I go to bed. (not as young as I used to be!)

Happy Birthday, Avery.
You are a treasure and a joy to me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Must resist the opening you gave and simply add my birthday wishes!

Cheryl said...

You're right - you DON'T look old enough to have a 19 year old! :o)

My how time has flown since we rocked these babies...