Friday, December 21, 2007

New Things

I was thinking this morning about how exciting this time of year is for me...

Not because of presents, although I LOVE giving things to people.

Not because of the decorations, however, I do appreciate a precisely strung bunch of lights on a house or the perfectly spaced spiral around a tree or two.

Not even because of the abundance of very fun food, which you all know is a great joy to me...

Nope. I love this time because it's close to a time of starting over.
I love January.
I love the starting over phase of the year. It's fresh and clean and without blemish!
It's just another opportunity to do things you gave up on in March, or June, or October. It's a time to refocus and recommit. It's a time to see things clearly and continue doing the good you're doing while at the same time, deciding to do better in other areas.

I realize it doesn't have to be January to start fresh. I know God has given us that opportunity every minute. We have the chance to begin again with slates wiped clean...but, there's something about the New Year that gives you fuel for the fire within you.
Take just a minute to read these scriptures....and may you be filled and blessed today as you scurry around with last minute details for the holiday time.
"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here! All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting people's sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God. God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God." 2Corinthians 5:17-21


and...I love love love this one...


"Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Look! God's dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death, or mourning, or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

He who was seated on the throne said, "I am making everything new!" Then he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true."

He said to me: "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life. Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their God and they will be my children..." Revelation 21:1-7
Have a blessed Christmas and a very Happy New Year!

No comments:

Blog Archive