Monday, December 17, 2007

Good Smells

Some of you will understand what I'm about to say, and some, may just think I'm a little nuts...or, possibly you will understand, but still think I'm nuts. That's o.k.

When my kids both left for ACU, there was, of course an emptiness that was felt. Although you know they are doing exactly what they are supposed to do, you have this void, I think especially for the mother, because the object of your attention for so long is no longer there.

I'm a big "smell" person. I can walk in a room and often tell you who has been there according to the different smell that is left behind. Good smells are particularly good for me, and bad ones are just as amplified!

I discovered that the lack of the smell of my children was bothersome. It felt particularly empty.

2 Corinthians 2:14-15: "But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him. For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing."

I really love this verse because I do believe that we are a sweet smell to our Father when we are following His plan for our lives. When we are displaying the fragrance of Christ to those in a lost world, it just leaves a noticable, lingering, smell that they may not be able to explain, but they know it's good. It's comforting. It's salvation and grace.

My children to me are a sweet aroma of life and goodness to me. And, although I know they are not going to live in my house forever, I'm going to enjoy this month and soak it up while it's here.

Blessings!

2 comments:

Brady said...

I understand. Though there are some son smells that I can do without (or just make on my own).

I know you're enjoying it all…

Wendy Power said...

No children, but I completely understand.

Blog Archive