Wednesday, September 19, 2007

anonymous

I received a comment on my last post that came from an anonymous "friend".

I started thinking about what it would be like to go through life anonymously. Would I act any differently? Would I say things that I normally keep to myself? Maybe...but I hope not.

Christianity is, as you all know, a lifestyle. Not an occupation. It's who we are, not what we do. It's something that we live and breath and struggle with on a daily basis because of the humans we are...and the choices our gracious God has allowed us to have.

We are going through a time of choosing new elders for our church. I'm very excited about a few of the men being nominated, and quite reserved about some others. But the bottom line is, God is in charge and has a plan for this church. I'm not quite clear on the method that will be used to allow the church to "vote" (very bad term but you get what I'm saying) yes or no for an elder candidate, but I've heard we may allow anonymous comments as long as there aren't scriptural sitings against the candidate. If you have a scriptural basis for not wanting someone to take the role of Elder, you must sign your form.

I'm worried about the anonymous thing. If I have a reason I believe this person isn't qualified, or at least brings question in my mind, shouldn't I go to that person and talk about it? Aside from scriptural reasons, isn't there room to have a conversation where God is the center and honest concerns can be raised? But, if I were to be totally honest with you, I would admit that I probably will avoid that conflict if I know it will cause some kind of "thing" between me and the persons I'm concerned about.

So, for now, I've changed my blog settings to no longer allow anonymous comments, and I'll continue praying about my opportunity to share honest, non-anonymous concerns with my brothers.

Blessings.


4 comments:

Thurman8er said...

I can't tell you how many times Lisa and I have ended a conversation about elder selection with the phrase, "It's in God's hands."

Brady said...

Hey girl. You hang in there. I know this elder thing can be stressful, but, as you said…

I don't like conflict either. But there are times that iron sharpens iron, and that is a good thing.

Much love from this side of the lake…

Mayor of Blakersfield said...

You bring a good point. I understand why some people may find remaining anonymous liberating in expressing themselves, but with elders it should be different. If the elder is elected, will you always be communicating anonymously or talk to them one-on-one? If an elder cannot handle constructive criticism, then maybe he is not fit for the job. If we are not comfortable with talking to an elder, then what does that say?

cwinwc said...

Having been on both sides of this kind of event I would say that my experience has taught me to ignore all "anonymous" comments.

The Mayor makes an excellent point.