Monday, August 13, 2007

Abilene

Yesterday was one of those days that felt like two or three rolled together.

Our time of worship together was wonderful. The message, the singing together, fellowship through communion, and other "God moments" that can only happen because He is present and working through us in spite of our short comings...

We ran a half hour long, which is inconvenient for the teachers trying to present a class in the next hour, but particularly worrisome for those of us trying to catch a plane headed to Texas right after services!

The boys raced Ashley and I to the airport where we actually had time after check in to grab a bite before the plane boarded.

3 hour flight to Dallas...then grab a rental car and another 3 hour journey to Abilene.

We arrived at the hotel in Abilene at 11:00 pm, which, according to Mike Cope is the best time to see Abilene. (in the dark)

As I stretched my tired bones out on the box they had made up to be a bed, I thought about what a beautiful morning it had been...and wondered how we fit it all into one day!

Then I remembered last year this time, how sad I was, how desperate I felt to hang on to my children (knowing it wasn't possible), and how much I prayed for God to protect and take care of my first baby leaving the nest.

Last night, I prayed the same prayer, but with a different feeling. Praise God for His goodness, his mercy, his patience. I'm so grateful He has brought me to this point of confidence in His care and guidance.

Ashley is here to begin work on the "Welcome Week Committee", welcoming new freshmen to the school next week. (particularly her little brother) Lex and Avery will be driving on Thursday and Friday to arrive in time to move Avery into his dorm.

Oh, there will be tears, there is no doubt. But, with life comes wisdom and understanding. Knowing that God is there and will continue to protect those you love even when they are not close at hand.

Blessings...

5 comments:

Thurman8er said...

There's just no way to express how proud I am of your kids and for the paths they've chosen.

I'm looking forward to hearing from Avery on his first visit home. He is going to LOVE college life. I'm so excited for him.

cwinwc said...

I'm now just one year behind you.

Wendy Power said...

This was my favorite time of year when I worked at Pepperdine - all the anticipation, excitement, and even the tears that come with the new students invading campus. It is going to be a great year for both of them.

Tell Eric Gumm hello from me! He's heading up Welcome Week, I think.

Brady said...

Glad you made it okay. Enjoy the time there.

Dad said Sunday was great.

Mayor of Blakersfield said...

Sunday was great! I hate it when people try to time constrain worship. Thanks for the music lyrics. Your son gave them to me before they left. Have a safe trip back and remember that even though your kids are far away, God is still near.