Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Oceano Dunes




It is difficult to tell you all that happened this weekend...

First, we were pushing it to make it in time to connect with the folks renting us the trailer.

Then, after getting there, we had to be pulled into the soft sand by not one, but two trucks. Our truck is 2 wheel drive and with the flat bed attached it could make it on the hard pack, but the soft sand was another story.


So, we get back there and the only truck that could get in and out was Avery's. Who, by the way, never got stuck once! I learned trailer living and actually enjoyed having no place to go and no way to get there even if I had wanted to. I finished my book (East of Eden...Steinbeck...great book!) and enjoyed some close quality time with my daughter.

The boys spent hour upon hour far back in the Dunes. Avery connected with some very nice guys he has met through an on line 4x4 club. These guys were sent from heaven, because when it came time to leave, they had to pull us and our trailer out of the soft sand.
I learned so much about camping. I learned you have to "air down" your tires on the soft sand and then air back up when you get on pavement or your tires will "fold".
I learned how to conserve water. I learned to actually enjoy the sounds of quads, sand rails, trucks, ATV's of all kind. I learned not to jump out of my skin every time a "not-so-legal" firework explodes while I'm enjoying my campfire...oh, I learned to build a killer camp fire and make s'mores. I learned that a hot dog tastes best, I mean wonderfully delicious, after being roasted over a campfire that you've built.

I learned to have an enormous respect for my son and all he is capable of...not because of his father and I, but just because he's taught himself much.

I learned that my daughter is a beautiful and sweet sister who is willing to be a little uncomfortable as long as her brother is having a blast.

I learned again, how precious my family is to me. There's nobody in the world I'd rather be with than those three people.

It was a wonderful weekend.
What a blessing to have new adventures and experiences to share with people you love!










2 comments:

cwinwc said...

Dunes, ocean, camping, and family - Sounds good to me. Glad you were able to spend time with yourself and the family.

BTW - We have some dunes in Florida but with our constant rain the activity turns into "mud-in."

Mayor of Blakersfield said...

Looks like you guys had fun.