Tuesday, March 27, 2007

My children thought it would be nice to give their Daddy a puppy for Christmas! He's been wanting another dog for quite some time now, and I was the one who kept saying "please, no." We have a dog. A very sweet old dog. A dog that I have loved very much in spite of my "no dog" rule.

So, to bring in another puppy, to me, just didn't make sense. Puppies are like babies. They cry and poop and pee and need to be fed and cared for 24/7. I knew I had lost the battle when at Christmas time, a friend of my daughter's dog had puppies. Black lab/German Shepherd puppies. I finally gave in when the kids said, "Dad doesn't ask for much, ever, so we think we should listen when he asks..." So the kids took off to go choose the puppy for their Dad.

It seems that life has been hectic and crazy since Christmas and I've not introduced you to Lex's new love. This is Jake... He is hysterical and yes, he's a mess. He is a very good dog, though, and although I was against it, watching a grown man cry when his children handed him their gift to him changed my mind.

I guess I'm just destined to always have a dog around. It's one of those marriage compromises we make because it makes the other person very happy.

It's worth it.

4 comments:

Brady said...

I'm glad my wife doesn't want a dog. I love them, but they are trouble. The dogs, that is.

Welcome to the family, Jake.

Thurman8er said...

I haven't seen Jake for a while. He didn't look like that last time I saw him. Do dogs grow up fast?

(James has begun to ask for a dog. That's one reason that Tiffany gave him that wonderful stopgap for his birthday.)

Anonymous said...

I wrote a comment about 3 blogs down that sort of tied in all those entries.

Lex looks great!

It's been a good day...discovered composer, John Rutter...a treasure!

As my so-called strange daughter says, when it comes to prayer, she pretty well knows when people give it lip service (oh yes, I WILL pray for you!" But, she takes prayer very seriously...God will hold us responsible, she says, for promised prayer abandoned!!
So, on that note, my prayers for you continue for "life changes" that will keep you alive. Now read 2-3 blogs down for my other comment...

Love and Blessings to you all...
Enjoy Ashley...

tonymyles said...

Very cool!

(Just be sure you have a good supply of newspapers and some back-up slippers)