Sunday, March 04, 2007

Habits

The thing about habits is that they are so...well...habitual.

I mean, if it's a true habit, it's something you do without even thinking, right?

Let me give you a list of things I wish I were in the "habit" of doing...

1. Wake at 5:00 am every morning to go for a brisk-cardio-healthy-oxygen-pumping-hour-long walk.

2. Spend at least 2 hours each day in prayer. 1 hour just meditating and listening, and one hour conversing with no distraction/interruption with my Heavenly Father.

3. Eat only when I am hungry...and here's the best one, stop eating when I'm full.

4. Actually send the card or make the visit when I know someone could use it.

...and the list could go on and on of things I wish I were better at...

But, here are the things that I am in the habit of:

1. Telling my children how much I love them and how proud of them I am...every day.

2. Talking to God all the time, even if I don't carve out the specific private time.

3. Getting those cards/visits done about 75% of the time.

4. Cooking to my hearts delight beginning with baked goods and dinners that almost always start with a cube of butter.

5. Eating when I'm anxious, but not necessarily hungry.

6. Eating when I'm happy, but not necessarily hungry.

7. Eating when I'm sad, but not necessarily hungry.

These are all things I do without thinking. These ARE my habits. And although some of them are wonderful, some are dangerous.

My husband and I both received word from our Dr's this weekend/week. Mine on Friday, and truthfully, I forgot about it in the worry of my husbands episodes. But today, it's all coming back to me.

We have changes to make. Not easy changes...not changes that will happen over night. We have life changes to make.

It is as if we are alcoholic, or addicted to drugs, or any other physical/mental problem that people deal with. It will be no easier for us than for those kicking their bad habits.

So, I ask you all for one thing. Pray for us. Don't nag...don't give advice...we have plenty of people doing that and there will come a moment when I will probably have to ask those good intentioned souls to stop. Just pray.

Our changes will determine how long we live. So, just pray.

Thank you.
Blessings

7 comments:

Welcome! said...

You have my word to faithfully pray for you and Lex. I commit to holding you before the Lord and asking him to mold you and give you the courage and patience to be molded. Love you both dearly! I believe in you both!

Brady said...

And I wanted soooo bad to give you some advice and to nag you…

Thankful to know that Lex is doing much better and that you are making good decisions.

Much love from here…

cwinwc said...

I agree with Randy on the level of courage you demonstrated in this post. East Coast prayers going up for you two.

Dan Dalzell said...

I'm praying for you and Lex and for new habits to go along with the ones you'd like to keep.

--Nina said...

Sandra and Lex--

Hugs, kisses, and prayers for you. Glad Lex is home.

Much love,
Nina Castle
(and family)

Anonymous said...

You two have been weighing heavily in my mind (what's left of it)...I say that with the purest of thought. I hope you weren't offended when I mentioned the cardiac rehab program. It's just 2nd nature to me to "direct" people to good sources. But I shall refrain from any other advice. I have my OWN habits to conquer...some losing battles. Used to be when I got stessed, I didn't eat...now it's the opposite. So I keep a lot of yogurt, fruit, salad stuff around to munch on. Other habit is going to go away soon...I will continue to pray for you if you pray for me in that LAST revelation. Will let you know if it works, but it has shown great promise. If this habit goes away, I shall reap great rewards in an area so dear to my heart. Might even become the "natural" mezzo soprano I always was. So I say my serenity prayer a 100 times a day..."courage to change the things I can..."

My best wishes and prayers for you both. As for the dog, AW-w-w-w. He's cute. But I'm a cat-lady first of all...wouldn't mind a Bisson Frise though, or something that looks like an Ewok.

God bless you unceasingly...

Anonymous said...

Why is it that I have to do the letter scramble thing TWICE with everyones' blog???? Even when I get the letters right the first time???