Saturday, April 22, 2006

There is a song that comes on the Christian radio station...it's kind of sappy, maybe, but the sentiment for me is bulls-eye, on the money, exactly what I'm feeling at this time.

It talks about holding this child for a short while, and then moves on to say that I hope my love gives them roots and helps them find their wings. It destroys me every time I hear it.

So, tonight, I'm driving to the home of a friend of my daughter, where she and about 20 other kids are all getting ready for their Senior Prom. The kids wanted to be together as long as possible and since getting ready is half the fun, they wanted to share that, too.

I'm already a bit of a mess...my daughter is going to her Senior Prom...that's awful close to graduation which is horribly close to college which is devastatingly close to not living in my house any longer. I can't tell you the lump in my throat as I'm driving to this beautiful home in a wealthy gated community.

As I'm driving, this song comes on..."listen to this" I tell Lex. So, thinking I've heard it enough times that it won't mess with me again, I turn it up. Foolish move.

As I'm wiping the tears away, I turn on the street that will lead me through the gate to their home...there is the limo in front of me that the parents of the big home in the gated community rented for the kids. I'm a mess...

Fortunately, the limo driver doesn't know the gate code, so I have to unbelt my self and get out and walk over and punch in the code so he can get in. All this helps me quit crying...

Until I pull through the gate and see this amazing group of young adults...many of whom I've known and loved since elementary school, one in particular that I've adored since the moment I knew she was...

Again, I'm a mess.

What a tremendous blessing to have been part of something so creative, so difficult, so beautiful as the raising of children.

Of all the blessings in my life, this one is overwhelming.

So, I will post pictures later, but let me say that as the tears stream down I am so grateful to be a Mom...

Blessings.

4 comments:

Brady said...

Thanks for the post.

Meaningful songs gain more power as time goes on.

But I am so happy we don't have proms here. I would be a mess too, especially for my little girl.

Hang in there,
Brady

cwinwc said...

Wow, I'm a mess just reading your post. I struggled to not cry at son's "sixth grade graduation." I can't imagine what I'll be like in 2 years.

Hang in there Mom.

Thurman8er said...

James will never be that old. He will never leave home. He's only 5.

Sob.

Mark D said...

My son (child number one for my wife and I) is due August 2nd. I beam with joy and buzz with excited anticipation when I reads posts like this. God is so faithful.

Blog Archive