Thursday, April 06, 2006


Life is full of disappointments.

Our family shared one last night. I won't go into great detail out of respect for the inflicted party, but let me say that when your children hurt, you are devastated. I don't think I've felt quite the void and sadness for one of my kids ever the way I'm feeling it now.

Nothing that won't be fine eventually. But let me just say that the words you want to use in certain situations as a minister right now sound very lame...so through this I've learned that our pat answers like "when God closes a door, He opens a window" or "God is in control" or "You'll understand it better down the line"...lame, lame, lame.

Is our faith shaken? no. Are we angry at God? no. Do we know deep down all things work together for good for those that love Him? of course.

But last night, my baby had a broken hearted disappointment. So, I did what any self-respecting mother would do.

I went to the grocery store, found our drug of choice, sat on the bed and cried a little and said, "I'm sorry, baby. I'm so sorry. Now, grab a spoon and dive in."


3 comments:

Brady said...

So sorry this is a bad time for you guys and the kids. Hang in there.

I have not yet tried ice-cream therapy, although it coincides with all I believe in. Why didn't I see it earlier?

So, as a minister, I can certainly say: Be wam (?) and filled!

cwinwc said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
cwinwc said...

I’m sorry for the disappointment that one of your children is experiencing at this time. Nothing shakes our world more than when our kids are hurt and, or, disappointed. You handled it well except for one thing – I would suggest chocolate mint ice-cream instead. :)

I lift up your child in prayer. May God give him/her something to be encouraged by today. Take care.

Blog Archive