Friday, April 14, 2006



The images you see here are in front of my home. I have a vine that grows up and over my garage. This vine is about 4 years old, I think.

I was at a local hardware store one day, (pause for confusion about me in a hardware store) and saw this stick. Attached to the stick was a picture of what this stick would become, if all went as planned.

I loved the picture, so I purchased the stick, the pot, and some dirt.

My family made fun of me every time we pulled in our out of the garage.

"Nice stick, Mom"

"Just wait, things are happening...it's growing roots and the stick is growing...I can see it." I would tell them that it was going to grow into something beautiful and then they'd all owe me an apology for doubting. My sweet husband would pat me and look away as he chuckled at my delusional thoughts.

Time passed, nothing happened...and then one day, there was a green bud. and then another, and another. Suddenly it started growing tall and eventually, we installed the lattice over the door so it would have a place to climb.

Last year, it popped out a couple of flowers, and oh how I was excited!

But this year, goodness, it is beautiful. I can't walk in or out of the house without staring in wonder at what it was (even I had my doubts, but nobody knew), compared to what it is.

You all are smart enough to see where this is going...

Attached to all of us is a picture that our Heavenly Father sees clearly. It's of this beautiful creature...growing, flowering, producing, inspiring. Sometimes, the world sees a stick. And, in truth, don't we sometimes look at people and think, "Nice stick." ? We don't always believe in the power of God's transforming love.

What starts out as a stick to be made fun of may turn into the glory of the neighborhood! (or heaven!)

Let's rely, for the sake of our own hearts, on the amazing grace and love that was purchased so we might not remain a stick.

Blessings!

5 comments:

Karen said...

That is wisteria, isn't it? When I was a child back in MO, we had wisteria vines growing across our front porch ... made for some lovely summer nights.

Generous Kitchen said...

Yes, Karen, wisteria it is!

Brady said...

Our neighbors have one of the witcherias that cover the front of the house in beautiful colors (in another month's time).

They also have a black cat.

cwinwc said...

The Holy Spirit's ability to transform someone into the image of Christ may be the most powerful force in the universe.

Dan Dalzell said...

I love that story and the truth it contains for us! And the pictures are nice too!

Blog Archive