Monday, April 10, 2006

Ever wonder how anything good gets done while trying to do so many things at once? We've high-teched ourselves into multi-tasking robots as we try to see who can accomplish the most in the least amount of time so we'll have time for....what, exactly?

I was hit in the face with this as I sat at my desk this morning. All music and three different translations of scripture lay out before me as I organize an Easter service. If you know me, you know I'm not a big holiday lover when it comes to our assembly time on Sunday morning. I put as much into the other 50 Sundays of the year as I do Easter and Christmas.

But, as most of you know, there are visitors to consider in larger number and there's always the hope that this particular service will touch an untouched part of their heart. That it will be this Sunday they see Jesus in a way that makes them want a personal relationship with Him on a daily basis...right?

Important? Absolutely.

Five different song books open, others laying behind me on the floor, two Bibles open, pencils sharpened and ready. I begin writing down possibilities, looking at scripture, putting down an order...

I decide to check my email. Something from Pepperdine saying they need a form that I've already FAXED to them twice. So, in the midst of all the planning, I call Pepperdine. I'm on the phone with them when my cell phone rings, I answer that and tell them to hold on just a second, I'll be right back with them. I'm chatting with Financial Aid when someone comes in my office and stands, waiting to say something...

As all this is happening, I'm still writing down song possibilities and putting together an order for Sunday.

I finished with Pepperdine, answered the question of the one standing in my office, and completed the cell conversation in record time.

Then I looked at what was before me.

I was a bit ashamed of myself. Not a beating of myself kind of shame, but just an honest..."I'm sorry other things take a slot before You" kind of feeling.

I don't have an answer to this problem. This isn't an occasional occurrence. I don't think it is with most Americans. Satan doesn't get us to sin, for the most part, by tempting us with holding up a bank, or murdering our friend, or stealing someone else's spouse.

He gets us in the business of life. He gets us with the busy multi-tasking way we think we're accomplishing so much, when usually, all we're doing is being distracted from the important things that matter in the long run.

We like to feel accomplished, productive, successful. By what standard are we measuring this? That's really the question.




4 comments:

cwinwc said...

I long for less “multi-tasking” and more “single basking” in God’s love, service, and devotion to him.

Great post Sandra. This is the time of year (3 baseball games a week) that I feel your pain.

Brady said...

I've got an answer, but someone's at the door and the phone is ringing…

Welcome! said...

I agree completely! We have allowed Satan to twist the truth so that we base productivity on how many things we can cross off of our list. I am extremely guilty of this! May God give us all the wisdom and strength to resist this.

Love you!
Amber

Mark D said...

Very good reminder! I really like what cwinwc said about tasking vs. basking too.

Blog Archive