Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Are any of you old enough to remember the old Flip Wilson routine where he says "The Devil made me do it!" I think (because I really was very young at the time), it was the character he played named Geraldine who used to say that.

I remember thinking he was very funny, but didn't always get to watch it. I'm not sure if it didn't pass my Mom's radar sensor for us kids or if it was on too late, but I do remember my Dad getting a chuckle out of that show.

This may be way off for most of you, but I've floated through life sometimes thinking that many of my sinful ways are because of the devil. Because of evil. Because something bad out there is gunning for me.

What that does is it allows me to accept the wrong without accepting responsibility for the sinful nature. "The Devil made me do it!"

I'm wrong. (boy, that doesn't happen often, does it?)

I was reading/studying on Monday and this verse, which I've heard before, jumped out at me in a new way.

II Corinthians 10:5
We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.
(NIV)

~or~
We destroy people's arguments and every proud thing that raises itself against the knowledge of God. We capture every thought and make it give up and obey Christ.
(New Century Version)


I love the picture of my being able to "capture every thought" and "make it give up" and obey Christ. That puts the power, (and responsibility) back into my hands.

Nobody makes me do anything. Right? God gave us that wonderful gift of choice. He doesn't make us do what we should do. He gives us the tools, the directives, and then hopes we will love Him enough to follow. It's up to us.

I do believe Satan tries to trip us. Of course. I know the devil loves to see us fail. It gives him power. But he can't make me.

For some of the more scholarly minds out there you're probably thinking, "Duh, girl. I figured this out in Jr High." O.k. Maybe it's very elementary and not the deepest thing I've ever written or thought. But what a powerful realization.

Just wanted to share...

2 comments:

Brady said...

I am too young to remember who flip wilson is, so I can't really comment on that part.

However, giving every thought over to Christ, EVERY THOUGHT, wow. That is what it's all about. Hang in there! vusrwyt

Generous Kitchen said...

Maybe I just remember things at a younger age than you, my friend, because if my memory serves me, I believe you are a few years older than I!?

...and wiser, of course.

Blog Archive