Thursday, September 22, 2005

The other night Lex and I were at one of our favorite places to eat.

Plaza Ventana...mmm mmm good! It has a relaxed atmosphere, great food, great service, and the manager always gives me a hug when we go in. I like that. They act like we're family walking into their home for a meal.

It was later than usual. The place was not very busy. About half way through our meal, the sweet manager, Lydia, came and sat down with us at our table. Asked if everything was o.k. Asked how we were. And then said, "don't you have prayer at your church?" "Of course," I answered. "Well, I need you to pray for my nephew. He really needs prayer." I waited to see if she'd tell me why he needed prayer, but she didn't. So I assured her we would not only pray for him, but let everybody know about it via email so they could add him to their list also. "Wonderful" she said. "Since you have so many praying, I need you to pray for my son, also. He really needs prayer."

I promised her we would pray for Michael and Anthony. I know God knows what their needs are.

What is success? When I was younger, success was, for the most part, material. When you're older and have stuff, that would be success. Beautiful home, new cars, vacations, etc... For me, it was a singing career along with the stuff. I wanted to be a star...to sing...to perform around the world. To be known.

I was ready for bed the other night and had lost Lex. I knew he had gone in to pray with the kids, but it had been a while and didn't know where he had gone.

I walked by Ashley's dark room and the door was about half way open. I will never forget what I saw...

The hall light provided enough of a glow for me to see my husband, on his knees beside the bed of his sleeping daughter, arms outstretched over her...praying.

Lydia, at the restaurant, knew we were an avenue to God. She knew who we were...she knew who we belong to. So, even amongst a business atmosphere, although we weren't in a church building, she felt comfortable coming to us for help.

What is success? I've changed my opinion of that.

Success is being known, yes, but being known as a child of God. Success is representing the Savior with grace and love without judgment. Success is even in the darkest most private corners of your home, your heart, your life, you seek God...even though no one is watching.

Being a disciple of Jesus Christ has made me a successful woman...

2 comments:

Brady said...

Amen. You are doing good. Thanks for the encouragement to pray for our kids. God is listening. Do keep it up.
vihllkh

Thurman8er said...

All this discipleship talk...gotta be a sermon in there somewhere.

I'll be praying for Michael and Anthony throughout the day.

Blog Archive