Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I Was Going How Fast?!

Let me set the stage...

Driving to Abilene.

Already gone over 1300 miles with just a bit to go.

The G.P.S., (whom we've named "Sheila") tells us to turn onto a particular road that we've not traveled before any of the last 6 times making this trip. But, we've trusted her this far and will trust her until we know better. At this point, we don't know better.

Very long road with NOT ONE OTHER CAR ANYWHERE to be seen, but here we go...
Late afternoon, rolling into evening, still driving this two lane deserted road. Nothing is familiar to daughter or I, but Sheila still stands her ground as to the direction we should be going.

Sun will be setting soon, and if you've not been out in New Mexico or Texas when the sun sets, it's the darkest dark I've ever seen!

I start going faster because I see Sheila says only 27 miles until I change roads and I'm hoping in 27 miles, something will look familiar to me. So I'm going a tad bit fast. Finally, see approaching headlights coming toward us in the opposite lane. Very glad to see other signs of life...until said vehicle just barely passes me and whips a U-turn and turns on his little red and blue lights.

Mama lets out a bit of an exclamation and daughter says..."What are we going to do?"
"Well, sweet girl, we're gonna stop. And don't say a word. Just sit there. Everything will be fine."

Sweet older gentleman sheriff comes walking, (more like moseying) toward our truck...

"Hi" I say.
"Good evening, ma'am." (looking into the window to check out all the "stuff" piled in the back seat for daughter's move)...
"Hi" I say again
"Where are we headed?" he asks
"I'm taking my daughter to Abilene."
"Goin a little fast." he says
"Oh really? I didn't realize that. We've been driving so long I must have lost track. I'm so sorry." I reply
"I clocked you goin about 89" he tells me.
*GASP* (I put my hand over my mouth in disbelief!) "I never drive that fast. I'm so sorry" I say again.
"You can't trust those things" he says pointing to 'Sheila the G.P.S.' in the window. "They aren't accurate when calculating your speed."
"Oh, I didn't know that..." I reply thinking that satellites linking up all over the world are probably fairly accurate, but who am I to argue..

As he pats me on the arm, he says, "well, I'm just gonna give you a warning. Maybe you just needed a 5 minute break. Lemme see your drivers license and I'll be right back. You just sit here for a minute and rest."

So, I hand him my license feeling like I may get through this without a ticket. As he walks away, my daughter says in a quiet panic voice..."What are we gonna do? He's running your license. What's he checking?"

"Oh, honey, don't worry...he's running my license...not my credit history! Everything's fine. Just stay quiet."

He comes back returning my license to me smiling and still patting my arm. "You girls be careful. Slow it down a bit. You're almost there. And if she were mine...I'd have put her on a bus and said 'so long'!"

I laugh politely and reach over to pat my girl who I know wants badly to comment on his "bus" statement. But she, too, is smiling politely...

We roll up the windows, put the thing in Drive and head out.

"Wow" daughter says. "That was something, Mom."

"Yeah, I'm just glad he wasn't any younger. We wouldn't have slipped by with just a warning..."

2 comments:

Julie said...

Yes, Jason always doubts the bright blue line on our GPS, but I would follow it anywhere.

What I want to know is...did he talk with a nice West Texas twang? Of course, what does it matter, since he let you go...

stephruns said...

wow, 89, that's really fast!