Wednesday, July 15, 2009

My Bible


I love my Bible. I love the size, the feel, the weight. I am partial to the version most every time I compare to other versions.

It's just a paper covered Bible with underlines, and post it notes, and pages coming loose. In fact, now that I look at it, it's not pretty. This Bible didn't sit on an end table or in a book shelf and look pretty. There is no smell of leather or visions of gold embossing/engraving on the cover. However, it is beautiful to me.

I've used this Bible for lots of years. I've studied with it, prayed through it, wept as I read sections, and found great joy along the journey. It has sustained me, fed me, encouraged me, taught me.

Have you ever looked at some folks...older folks, who may have lost their youthful luster? Maybe they need help walking, or thinking, or hearing. Maybe at a quick glance, they aren't "pretty" any longer. And yet, as you hear them speak, as you see them encourage, as you feel them drift from earthly satisfaction to heavenly longing, you see great beauty. Great wisdom. Great comfort in their presence.

I hope I am sufficiently tattered as my life continues here on earth. Keep the plastic perfection...the gold engravings. I desire a dog-eared, page loose, underlined and post-it note life.

Blessings.

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

So very true on all accounts.

Thurman8er said...

I like the Len Sweet approach to Bibles. Use one for a number of years and then give it to one of your kids, making sure to keep everything inside it that was there by the end.

What a treasure!

Brady said...

I'll never forget the day that my Bible flew off the top of the car and I rode back and forth for an hour looking for it with no luck.

Makes me glad I never left an old person on the roof of my car.