Thursday, October 09, 2008

Restless

There are times when I struggle for a full night of sleep.

I'm not one who has trouble going to sleep initially, but STAYING asleep is another story.

I wake up about every 1.5 to 2 hours. Every night. Stay awake for a while and then finally drift off again until I wake again a couple hours later. I rarely go a night without seeing midnight, 2:30-ish, 4:40 ish...

I'm a person who struggles with worry. My brain won't shut off. My heart won't stop pounding over things I can't control but worry about any way.

Some may say my faith isn't strong enough. Some may think I'm not trusting God. I don't know...maybe "they" are right...

I have decided, though, that if I'm going to be awake, I might as well relax and enjoy it. So, I've basically started having conversations with God that last all night long. They start when I first go to sleep, and just continue throughout the night in 2 hour intervals.

I never run out of things to say. Just to praise Him for all He has done would take a lifetime.

I still worry, I wonder, I question, I fret over things I can't control or change. But, God is there...every time I wake in a panic. He's there. I'm so grateful.

Psalm 5:11-12
But let all who take refuge in you rejoice; let them sing joyful praises forever.
Protect them, so all who love your name may be filled with joy.
For you bless the godly, O Lord, surrounding them with your shield of love.


2 comments:

Brady said...

True. We are awake at night to talk to God.
Not that sleep's not important, mind you…

cwinwc said...

"They" need to get a life. I'll bet David, a man after God's heart, lost some sleep when he wrote some of his "lamenting" Psalms.

I went through a stretch of little sleep a few weeks ago. For me the problem ended up being a low B-12 count. Talk to your doctor and in the mean time, enjoy the time with God, laugh, and try to have some fun.