Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Matthew 6:33

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." (King James Version)
"The thing you should want most is God's kingdom and doing what God wants. Then all these other things you need will be given to you." (New Century Version)

"And he will give you all you need from day to day if you live for him and make the Kingdom of God your primary concern." (New Living Translation)


I love the last translation of that particular verse. It's one of my favorites and rolls around in my head constantly...

I've made sack lunches for my children for approximately 12 years. Every once in a while, they wanted "hot lunch" but usually a day of that and they were ready for the sack lunch the next day. During their later elementary years, I decided to put a note in their lunch to encourage them in whatever that day held. It was a wonderful thing for me, and hopefully they have enjoyed it. Their Dad would write the note sometimes and was far more creative than I. He would draw them pictures or give them puzzles to solve. I just wrote things like "Stay focused on your spelling test, remember I love you, and you're precious to me." No pics, just a heart with the word "Mom" beside it.

Today the Seniors checked out of school...so, yesterday was the official end to my lunch making career. (Although Avery reminded me he's working this summer and wouldn't mind a lunch now and then.) But yesterday morning, I thought long and hard about what I wanted to say in that final school brown bag lunch. What's the one thing I want my children to know and hold on to. So much ran through my head until finally, I decided on the Matthew 6:33 verse. If, throughout this life, our children learn to put the Kingdom of God first, knowing in faith that what they need will be provided because of our Father's mercy and grace, isn't that a great thing?

So, I wrote that verse, along with the usual "I'm very proud of the man you are becoming and I love you with all my heart..." signed the card with my little heart and "Mom", and slipped it in the lunch on top of the peanut butter sandwich, some applesauce, and a bottle of water. I closed up the lunch and prayed that my boy would always seek the Kingdom of God first, above all else. Cried just a little, and went to my room to get ready for work.

Blessings...




3 comments:

Brady said...

Good verse. Essential.

cwinwc said...

I'm going to need a "hankie" in my lunch today.

Mayor of Blakersfield said...

That is a great story and verse. Thanks for sharing that. You never know, one day there might be grandchildren and you can come out of lunch making retirement. :)