Monday, August 28, 2006

This is the first day of school for Ashley. It's the first time I haven't been there to hug, kiss, take the first day of school picture, and yes, cry.

I cry every first day of school. It's not a sad cry...it's an "I can't believe where the time is going" cry.

This year was different.

Last week was Avery's first day of school and I was in Texas...so my sweet Mom came over and took his picture in the right spot of the yard (it's fun to take it in the same spot every year. You see the vegetation and the child grow!). So, I've not seen it yet, but I know I have a first day of school picture for Avery.

Avery called me on his first day of school, so I was able to love on him over the phone. (between sobs...I had just left his sister!)

It is now 7:00 am our time and Ashley has already had one class. So, first day of school has officially started for her, too.

Mike Cope talks about the hands that grip the kids, how little by little fingers are pried off until finally, there is very little holding on to them. I didn't like that part of his message last Sunday, but I understood it.

I feel the grip loosen and the fingers one by one open.

I guess if you've done your job, and if God is merciful, you're able to let go on your own without anyone having to drag you or pry your fingers loose.

Parents, enjoy it all. I'm even enjoying this. There's always laughter after the sadness.

Driving home last week, I had a particularly bad, sad, horrible night in Gallup, New Mexico. I called my boys at home and cried and cried and cried.

Avery finally got on the phone after Lex couldn't do anything with me and said, "Mom, come home. We're waitin' for you. We're right here waitin'. And besides, Dad and I have run out of things we know how to cook!"

Laughter...thanks Avery. I'm glad I'm still needed.

Blessings!

5 comments:

Thurman8er said...

And you're needed by more people than just your immediate family.

I'm glad your home.

I'm glad Ash is there.

julie said...

It was so good to see you at Highland. I meant it when I said that we would take care of Ashley. I know that I told you that Mary Kate was at Lipscomb...well, long story inbetween....she is now at ACU. I will look for her...I promise.

Generous Kitchen said...

Thanks to all of you for your sweet comments...

Randy, thanks for reminding me I'm not alone in this.

Steve, thank you. You're precious to me.

Julie...Julie...Julie...I can't begin to tell you how glad I am to hear that your girl is at ACU. My heart was breaking, anyway, dropping off Ash, and I couldn't imagine what it would be like to have a daughter so far from home and have her be miserable! It shouldn't be like that! I pray her time at ACU will be full of wonder and knowledge and excitement about life and the love of God!

Brady said...

I know you are going to be consoled and will stop crying.

Then Christmas will come and the visit home, and it starts all over again.

But it is such a blessing to be able to say: Hey, I'll see you at Christmas.

Hang in there.

cwinwc said...

I'm with Randy, kind of. Take care on the rest of your trip home and know that folks coast to coast are praying for you. Then you can console me in a couple of years.

BTW - Mike Cope's point was excellent. I never thought about it that way before.