Wednesday, August 23, 2006

THE NEW NORMAL

I woke up today in Fresno.

Drove for two days away from Abilene and toward home.

It's the strangest feeling I've ever had...dropping off your child and driving away...and driving, and driving, and driving. Every bone in my body kept saying "go back...go back", but my brain knew I was doing the right thing.

Abilene is a wonderful place. It's a beautiful school with amazing people teaching and leading the kids/students. I had constant assurance from people I trust with...well...my child's life, that she will do wonderful and if there's ever a problem, they will be there for her. Thank you, God.

So, today, I am faced with the "new normal". Life changes, doesn't it? The old normal has been two children in my home. I liked that. In fact, my favorite part of any day was the early morning or late night when everybody was inside, safe, asleep. I'd walk to her room and then his and just look at them. I'd usually spend time in prayer for each one while looking at them sleep. Come on, you guys, admit it...you look at your kids sleeping, don't you?

But, this morning, I saw him and an empty room.

This is the beginning of the new normal for our home. Can't say it's my favorite time, but I am confident it is what is supposed to happen. Whether I like it or not.

By the way, Ashley is doing wonderful. She's already made great friends and is having a blast at "welcome week". She has Mike Cope for her Freshman Bible class...what more could you want! Classes begin next Monday. But for this week, they are having a wonderful time mixing and playing and getting to know each other.

I asked her last night if she had experienced any homesick moments. She paused for quite a while and then finally started giggling and said, "No...I'm sorry, Mom."

I assured her that I was comforted by the fact that she hadn't been homesick. It helps me know she's doing exactly what she's supposed to do!

Now, I'm going to go and get used to my new normal.
Blessings.

1 comment:

cwinwc said...

I guess the best news we can hear when we drop our kiddos off at college is the news that Ashley gave you. I'm glad she is enjoying herself and we'll continue to pray for you.