Sunday, June 11, 2006

This week has been a whirlwind of emotion. Great pride, joy and sorrow all mixed up together. Ashley's school puts on a musical at the end of the year right before graduation. Last week was the show. It was a long exhausting week, but one that I'm sure the kids feel good about.

Last night was graduation. I was stable and calm. It was amazing to watch that little girl all grown up marching in with her class...Graduating. Little tears, but considering who I am, I was rather proud of the composure I maintained.

We went with family after graduation and celebrated with dinner and then it was off to Sober Grad night. It's a wonderful time for the kids. It's safe and fun and a time to just relax and be grateful you made it through! This year the kids went to a mini amusement park in Fresno. Water slides, miniature golf, food, D.J., Racing cars...they had a blast. Signing year books, hugging, laughing, just good fun being together. This is a very small class compared to other high schools. About 65 kids. So they are a tight knit group.

Lex, being the amazing father that he is, chaperoned the evening/night. He's had about 2 hours sleep as we speak and will head out after church to work for the afternoon.

But, I think one of my proudest moments was watching her brother take care of her in so many ways this week. Avery was in the midst of it all, helping with tech difficulties during the show, hanging out with people that came to the house, (a teen-age form of hospitality), fixing his sister's broken shoe needed for graduation night, and countless other moments of sweet sibling love. I am so proud of both my kids. They are good people. I could disappear (not that I have any plans of that!) and they would continue to be solid, Godly, amazing people. I really feel like my work on them is finished. God has always shown me what should be done and when...and for now, I can let go.

What a blessing...how very sad...

3 comments:

Brady said...

Congrats on the graduation and on seeing the kids through this fun time. It is fun, isn't it?

Hang in there…

Generous Kitchen said...

Brady...
Yes. Very fun! Thanks for reminding me to continue to enjoy it...

cwinwc said...

Congrats on your daughter's graduation. Prayers are mostly for you Mom. I'll be in the same boat and shape in 2 years.