Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Packages



One of my very favorite things to do is send packages to my daughter.

As you all know (all to well, I would imagine at my constant conversation of this point), she is in Texas studying to become a teacher. I don't know if it's the actual sending, or the gathering that I so thoroughly enjoy. I love collecting things here and there. Cheap chick flicks, lip gloss, fun paper and pens, magnets, trail mix, silly cards, gift cards, etc.

I take as much care in the "packaging" of the package as I do the "gathering" of the package. I stuff coordinating tissue (the color will match whatever the 'theme' of the package is...i.e. Halloween, Thanksgiving, Valentines Day, etc...) into the box and then, right before I close the top for taping, I blow kisses into it. A greeting card with a $20 bill is always sitting right on top of the mounds of tissue. I've never asked specifically, but my guess is that with all the pretty packing tissue and crinkle paper, things don't move a bit in the delivery!

Finally, it's time to tape. I write her name on the "To" section and in the "From" section, I draw a heart next to the word "Home", and then my address. I always use different color markers that coordinate with the tissue inside. (by now, if my Mom is reading this, she's shaking her head at me)

Then, I use enough tape to wrap around the earth a couple of times and finally, it's off to the post office to ask them the same question I ask every time.

"What's the fastest you can get this to my girl?"

They always tell me the "middle" fastest one first, then the longest time and then finally, the fastest. I never go with the fastest. It's usually more expensive than the contents of the package, so I go middle. Even though I want to go with the FASTEST.

I don't know what happens exactly to those packages between the time I leave it at the post office and she picks it up at school. I DO know, however, when she gets one she knows without a doubt that she's loved, thought of often, cared for deeply, and missed...really missed.

It's so good to know someone is thinking, praying, and caring for you even when you're not physically standing beside them. It's even better to get evidence of that!

There's a sermon in there somewhere...

Blessings.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Awww - college care packages are the BEST. My grandmother used to send me and my sister amazing boxes! Have you ever used the one-price priority boxes? A medium only costs $10 to ship and holds a LOT of things. Jsut a tip. :)

stephruns said...

letters and packages sent from anywhere in Switzerland to any Swiss soldier are free of charge! It's been that way for as long as I can remember. It does wonders for the morale of the troops. I send home baked goodies every week.